Earlier this week we had a visit from Carolina Mushroom Farm, Shahane brought us fresh Oyster , Baby Bella and Shitake Mushrooms. When he told us the prices I was floored. Not only are they grown locally over in Willow Springs they also are cheaper than what my family normally buys at Whole Foods. Shahane was a great sport in patiently waiting till I could speak to him. Our store was quite busy at the moment with deliveries and clients in for their shopping.
Last week I join SWMBO & Dan on the Low Carb diet. When Shahane delivered the Shitakes Asian Lettuce wraps popped in my head instantly. Unfortunately its been 3 days and I am just getting a chance to cook them. My favorite type of lettuce to use for this is butter lettuce however I only have iceberg here at home. Sigh. I will make do.
Lets talk lettuce wraps now. The ideal chicken for these is ground chicken coming in at $8.50 lb. And while I would like to say there will be leftovers there won’t be. They just taste too darn good. I totally recommend making 2 batches of this at once. One for dinner and one for lunches. Did I mention they even taste great cold?
Jam, is it sitting in your fridge doing nothing? Is it only making an appearance at breakfast or on a noontime pbj? Well ladies and gentlemen let me introduce jam for dinner. Triple Berry Jam is the primary ingredient in this sauce it is from Buck Naked Farm at $8 a jar sold in the NCF Store.
At the NCF store the chicken is provided through Brittany Ridge Farms The Split Chicken Breast run $10 lb. They typically come 2 to a pack. With the kids we usually split a breast between them. the skin however is always fought over.
- 1 Jar Buck Naked Farm Triple Crown Jam
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/8 tsp cayenne (optional)
- Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil on med. heat
- Boil until syrupy and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat to cool
- 4 split chicken breast
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Bring chicken up to room temperature about 1 hour on the counter.
- Dry off with a paper towel, salt and pepper chicken
- On a sheet pan place a cooling rack
- On rack place rosemary sprigs
- Place chicken on rosemary & place in oven 45 min to 1 hr until meat thermometer reaches 160F
- Once the chicken reaches 160 glaze chicken with Jammin Sauce
- Place chicken in oven for 5 minutes
- Let rest for 5-7 minutes and serve.