Ruth Reichl is one of my cooking icons. When Epicurious ended I was gutted. Was her career over, would she continue to write? She is incredibly inspirational to my own cooking style. The recipe I made tonight was inspired by her. She would collect ingredients in the street markets on her way home and make a dish. I went walking through our little market at NCF and came up with dinner.
London Broil is Flank Steak’s big brother. Have a large crowd to please? Get a London Broil. Tonight’s dinner is an indulgence, the London Broil is $10 lb and then the grits have Skyr Tykke $5 (goat sour cream) & Garbo goat cheese $5. Our goat cheese products come from Celebrity Goat Dairy. With the veggies and stone grits this meal runs around $45. This was our big family dinner of the week. This meal can be broken up or served with other items. The grits are a heavenly meal all on their own. Luckily we have lots of grits left over and I’m eyeing them for breakfast. There are 3 separate recipes in this one blog post. Please be patient with me.
- 2-3 lb London Broil
- 1 cup Soy Sauce
- 1/3 cup Lime juice
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- Combine spices, herbs, lime juice, & soy sauce. Place London Broil in a 1 gallon zip top bag, pour marinade over, close & place in fridge for 8-12 hours.
- Pull out 90 minutes prior to cooking. This is a very thick cut of meat that you want at room temp all the way through,
- Line a jelly roll pan with foil, place a wire cooling rack on top on the jelly roll pan, place the London Broil in the center of the rack
- PreHeat Broiler at 500
- Place Broil under the Broil for 12 minutes flip then cook for another 12 minutes ( London Broil is typically served rare to mid rare, my family choose the rare option)
- Rest Broil for 7 minutes slice thin and serve over Goaty Grits.
Peppers, Onions & Mushrooms
- 2 Bell Peppers any color other than green slice thinly
- 1 medium red onion sliced thinly
- 12 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 TBSP Lime Juice
- Salt Pepper to taste
- In a large heavy bottom skillet heat the EVOO over med heat
- Add mushrooms and onions cook for 5 min turning frequently
- When onions & mushrooms start browning add in the peppers cook for 2 min
- Turn heat to high add lime juice let veggies caramelize getting a bit dark.
- Serve immediately with London Broil
- 1 tub Garbo Goat Cheese
- 4 ounces Skyr Tykke
- 1 Cup water
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (In meals like this I prefer to count the loving smiles at my table not the calories)
- 1 Cup Stone Ground Yellow Grits
- 2 tsp salt
- In a 6 quart pan bring water, milk & heavy cream to a boil
- Add salt & grits stirring often you don’t want to scorch you milk
- As the grits thicken up about 10 min stir in remaining ingredients stirring often. Cook for another 5 minutes or until grits are tender.
- Serve under London broil & Pepper, Mushrooms, & Onions Mixture.